Sundial of the family de la Croix
Eugene Henri Charles de la Croix operated the timber yard (Sägerwerk) from 1928 onwards, from which he took over from Constantin Heptner, the founder of the timber yard (year unknown).
Although the family home no longer exists as it was torn down in the early 2000's, the one main object that still remains in what was perviously the garden of the family home is the "de la Croix Sundial".
We had the opportunity to visit the sundial in 2006, where it was still standing although on the greenway between the entrance to the constructed pertrol station (where part of the esparagus fields used to be) and the main road leading in and out of Żędowice.
In the below embeded map, one can see the location of the sundial, which still exists, however it is not possible to see if the de la Croix coats of arms (d'azur a une croix d'or) is still screwed to the concrete base.
History of Żędowice:
Żędowice [ʐɛndɔˈvit͡sɛ] (German Sandowitz) is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Zawadzkie, within Strzelce County, Opole Voivodeship, in south-western Poland. It lies approximately 5 kilometres (3 mi) south of Zawadzkie, 18 km (11 mi) north-east of Strzelce Opolskie, and 42 km (26 mi) east of the regional capital Opole.
Before 1945 the area was part of Germany.
http://www.zedowice.pl (in polish)
Copyright @ All Rights Reserved